The Student News Site of Pace High School

Pacer NYC

Pacer NYC

Pacer NYC

A Peek into Mr. Jay’s World

photo Kate Iza
Substitute teacher Mr. Jay sitting in the commons during 8th period.

Mr. Jay, a substitute teacher and the school’s Covid quarantine hero, is known as a great communicator to the students when they need a conversation. Mr. Jay is one of the most recurring substitute teachers in the school. When the school needs him, he is there.

This interview has been edited and condensed.

What was your dream job when you were younger?

I had a few dream jobs, like in pre-K I had this idea of being a firefighter. Then my parents had to tell me, You’re asthmatic. It is literally for your health, you can’t do that because burning buildings, all the smoke and stuff. And then I was like, I want to do veterinary care, but I didn’t like the idea of putting an animal down and I also didn’t want to be responsible for surgery and the idea of cutting anyone, or an animal, open. I was, like, oh, maybe not. And then performance, but you know, being a performer, the starving artist situation is really real for most people in the art industry and I like having money.

What are some life stories that you don’t mind sharing?

Well, I have a cat at home. I love animals. He takes a lot of my money. And these marks on my hand are from his teeth because he loves to show affection by biting.
I also sometimes like to travel. In October, I went to Seattle and I was away from all of you children and away from my responsibilities for a long weekend. I went to the Space Needle. It was beautiful. I was going around in the circle, seeing the city and the mountains. And then I saw a whale. I was on a boat, on the roof of the boat, and I was giving Rich Auntie vibes with no children and giving Edna from “The Incredibles.”

If you were going to give any student here at Pace advice, what would it be?

Just do it. As long as you’re not hurting anybody, just do it. Go for it. You only live once. Like, wear that outfit. Go for it.

What was the most impactful moment in your life?

Well, there’s been a few, but being responsible for another living thing for the past year [has been big.] It’s like having a child that doesn’t complain or fight back. My cat’s vocal though. I can’t sleep past 6:30 anymore, even if I don’t set my alarm. He will bite and be like, “Feed me!” and start digging his claws into me. You’re responsible for that, you gotta make sure you take them to the doctor once a year. The veterinarian costs money, you know, so that’s kind of impactful. And now I’m a parent. Not to a human, thankfully, but a cute little cute cat.

Do you have any hobbies outside of school?

I love going to brunch on the weekends.

If you could pick any grade, what grade would you be interested in teaching once you get your degree?

1th and 12th. My favorite grades are pre-K and kindergarten and 11th to 12th. I prefer avoiding all the puberty. 11th to 12th graders: you guys are young but understand hands to yourself.