The Student News Site of Pace High School

Pacer NYC

Pacer NYC

Pacer NYC

Girls Volleyball Team Makes a Comeback in their 2023 Season

photo Aniya Walker
Senior Night From top left to right: Diana Torres, Aiche Kouyate, Leah Martinez, Coach Lee, Sofia Gomez, Dahianara Polanco, and Grismeidi Romano. From bottom left to right: Serenity Seda and Ciara Garcia.

The girls’ volleyball team had a close first set with Clinton that they didn’t end up winning. Ultimately, in the second set the score between Pace and Clinton got too wide and the Setters lost.

The team faced The Clinton School, a team they had faced twice before this season. The Setters lost the first match but won the second.

Pace had been preparing for the season since the end of summer. They came into the year prepared and ready to play.

Last year’s continuous forfeits were disappointing for the entire team and especially for the now graduated seniors. The team was placed in a division that didn’t have enough teams with a PSAL eligible court, including Pace.

Coach Lee engages the team in strategy against Clinton in the playoffs. (Ally Dolores)

“Last year we actually had to forfeit half the games, so it was impossible for them to make the playoffs,” said Mr. Lee, the coach. The main issue was resolved this season. “This year, we have gyms which is great,” said Mr. Lee.

The original issue was caused by the large number of teams within our school division. However, this year “we were able to get four home gyms. They added two teams with gyms,” said Mr. Lee. This means that the girls team could actually compete against other schools.

The volleyball girls looked forward to the 2023 season. “Many wanted it to end, but when it ended, we felt unfulfilled. Ultimately, it was a good season and I’m content with its outcome.” said Grismeidi Romano.

For the seniors, their volleyball career started off rocky. Beginning in the pandemic, they persevered through the countless struggles throughout the four years they’ve been playing. Numerous changes occurred throughout the years such as new people and positions but most important of all, improvement of teamwork.

“We’ve communicated better as a team and gotten closer,” said senior Sofia Gomez, one of the girls volleyball captains.

The girls’ volleyball team has come a long way. Although they experienced trials and tribulations, they prospered as a team and developed a sisterhood.