The Student News Site of Pace High School

Pacer NYC

Pacer NYC

Pacer NYC

Flag Football Team Building for Future

photo Tommy Chong
Ya’Siin “Chance” Bacchas playing offense.

The flag football team was back for a second year and had a winning season.

The flag football team was 6-4 in their league. They made it to the semifinals in the playoffs on Nov. 18.

They faced hardships by not being an official team as part of the PSAL. Additionally, they were unable to have home games. The team always had to travel to fields in Brooklyn, so the school community wasn’t able to support them. Mr. Hylton said, “School spirit would help the team.”

The team discussing the plays during the game. (Tommy Chong)

The start of the season was rough; they lost their first game. Freshman Joshua Shapiro said, “I played the first game. Although it was a good experience, it was not our best game.” As they continued to practice and seek improvement, they were able to win their next six games.

Mr. Hylton was back as the coach for this year. Many team players expressed that he was an amazing coach and gave the right amount of motivation that the team needed to help them thrive. Flag football was a sport brought to Pace during the 2022-23 school year during the fall semester.

This season, the team was predominantly freshmen. Many joined from waiting to participate in sports and for their own love for the sport.

Pace defense going in for the flag. (Tommy Chong)

There were very few upperclassmen on the team. “I wish there were more upperclassmen, but the underclassmen are a great addition to the flag football team,” said Mr. Hylton.

Although many freshmen feel as though because of this year and how good football was they can see themselves pursuing this sport for the rest of their high school career.