The Student News Site of Pace High School

Pacer NYC

Pacer NYC

Pacer NYC

Florida State Seminoles Snubbed from CFP

photo Pacer NYC

After an exciting college football season, the NCAA started the race for the 2024 national championship. The college football playoff committee came to the following conclusions about seeding:

1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Washington Huskies
  3. Texas Longhorns
  4. Alabama Crimson Tide

This leaves one important power five team out of the mix: The 2023 ACC Champions Florida State Seminoles. After their star quarterback, Jordan Travis fell to a lower leg tear Junior, Tate Rodemaker finished the season with a win against rival Florida Gators. Leading towards a double-digit victory in the ACC Championship game versus Louisville. This finish didn’t impress the committee enough to allot a seat for the Seminoles without Travis. Floridians are livid and Florida attorney general Ashley Moody (a lifelong Gator fan), is looking to launch an investigation on the CFP committee for corruption.

Big 12 champion Texas Longhorns and SEC Champion Alabama Crimson Tide were division winners, just like the Seminoles but had lost. The Longhorns fell to the Oklahoma Sooners and the Crimson Tide lost to the Longhorns so it will be impossible to see a championship with the Crimsontide without the Longhorns.

However, the streaming giants have more to gain if an SEC team makes it over an ACC team due to ESPN having a $300 million-a-year deal with the SEC that kicks in next season.

An expanded playoff seems to be a quick solution to this issue. Luckily next season, we are set to see a 12-team playoff. With the dissolution of the PAC-12, this 12-team playoff came at the right time. It’ll allow three, maybe even four teams from the same division to make the playoffs and allow the best teams to compete and drop the politics of the CFP.