The Student News Site of Pace High School

Pacer NYC

Pacer NYC

Pacer NYC

The Repercussions of Not Having a Diverse Faculty

It’s 2024 and there’s still talk about lack of diversity in educational institutions. Pace students have noticed that throughout the year more and more African American teachers have been leaving. Last year, five Black women teachers left the school, two retired and the others found jobs that offer better opportunities .

Not only is it an issue at Pace, but it’s pretty predominant in the city too. Although one of New York City’s biggest strengths is diversity, the New York City Department of Education reveals a disheartening lack of diversity. With only 19% of Black educators in the DOE system and  only 4% are men.

When Mr. Zoboi, a Black male art teacher, was asked how he felt about being a part of the 4% of Black men in the city’s education system, he said, “This isn’t a job, but almost as if it’s my duty.” This sentiment underlines how urgently this issue needs to be resolved.

Do you think all racial and ethnic backgounds are equitably represented in the current staff at Pace?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Not only is it important for students to have teachers that look like them to feel represented, but it will increase their academic performance overall.

According to the National Bureau of Economic Research, Black students who are taught by one Black teacher by third grade were 13% more likely to go to college compared to those who had none. And those who had two are 32% more likely to end up in college. All it takes is one educator that looks like you to be present in your academic life to make a change in your life.

Principal Glatz stated, “As coming back from the years out because of the pandemic we are still reconnecting as a community, there’s a lot of healing that needs to be done.”

Two years after the pandemic and we’re noticing the after effects of it within the Pace community. Especially with the history of Black instructors being underrepresented in the faculty. It was noticed on a national scale that compared to other races Black teachers were “more than twice as likely as other teachers in the winter of 2021 to leave their job,” according to RAND Corporation.

To gain a better understanding of why we are noticing a pattern of Black women leaving, we need to acknowledge their hardships working in a public institution. Not only are they women, but they’re Black. Whether it’s facing microaggressions by being pictured as aggressive by their fellow employees when they’re outspoken or feeling unheard, there’s a wide variety of instances as to why Black women feel voiceless.

Principal Glatz seemed to acknowledge the need for conversations about diversity, race and equity within the school’s staff. “I think when we speak about diversity, race and equity, it can be difficult for non-people-of-color teachers to speak about it. We have had conversations about it as staff,” said Mr. Glatz.

However, the challenge faced by white teachers in discussing race cannot be ignored. The discomfort and difficulty in addressing issues related to race may stem from a lack of personal experience, fear of saying the wrong thing or concerns about being perceived as insensitive. To foster a more inclusive and equitable educational environment, it is crucial to address these challenges head-on. Being uncomfortable can be beneficial at times and can open doors to educating oneself.

This acknowledgment comes as Pace High School struggles with the issue of African American teachers leaving the school. One crucial aspect that isn’t highlighted by Mr. Glatz is the hiring practices that lack diversity within the teaching staff. The recognition of this disparity is an essential step towards addressing the root causes of the problem, but hasn’t taken place yet.

As the spring rolls in and the hunt for new hires for the next school year begins, it would be ideal if Black students are kept in mind and benefit from this process. A diverse educational environment is crucial to committing to fostering well-rounded individuals who are getting ready to maneuver an increasingly fast-paced world.