SYEP Is the Next Step for Many NYC Students

Many students are considering summer jobs as a new step to their high school lives. They are planning to be a part of the Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) this July. The deadline for the SYEP applications is on May 6, this coming Friday.

Ms. Ranson, the parent coordinator, got a notice in early April regarding SYEP. She posted an alert on PupilPath to inform students and parents about job openings. “We have student interns. They come in and file paperwork. They learn how to fax and make copies. They greet people, speak with people. They learn proper office etiquette. There’s a lot of training that happens here and it is beneficial because when you go out into the real world, you learn a lot of life skills,” said Ms. Ranson.

“Working is a part of the multi-tasking that a student should learn because when they go to college, they may need to supplement whatever money that they get while in school,” Ms. Ranson said. Being a full-time student and working a part-time job benefits students in terms of how they present themselves and when to use proper etiquette.

NYC youth around the ages of 14 to 24 are eligible to apply for career exploration opportunities in the summer. According to the National Bureau of Economic Research, the SYEP improves future employment outcomes, as well as behavior through an increase in social productivity and integrity. Students who apply to the SYEP are able to grow as individuals and have an increase in average earnings due to the employment they participated in.

SYEP was designed to help improve student attendance and academic achievement for low income students. SYEP facilitates long-term employment, helpful habits and skills, a greater understanding in career options and building financial capabilities according to the National Institute of Justice.

Anaya Guzman, ninth grade, is considering applying to SYEP. “I want my own sense of responsibilities because I feel like I am always relying on my parents. I want to be able to manage my own money. I think it will be hard to work and be a student at the same time, but I am working on time management. It will help me as a person while preparing me for my life,” Guzman said. Having jobs as a student is seen as a benefit, although it may be difficult for students at a young age.

SYEP is considered a contributing factor to the development of NYC youth in terms of improvements in character. Based on another study, adolescent employment depends on their prior backgrounds and capabilities. Upon entry to high school, students are given the opportunity to become independent and change the way they act.