After PupilPath Hack, Admin Implements New Grading System

photo Winifred Haastrup

JumpRope, a mastery-based grading system, was chosen for the 2022-2023 school year.

In September 2022, the grading platform for the school changed from PupilPath to JumpRope.

During the 2021-22 school year, students learned to follow Pace’s new standards-based grading system,which can be compared to PupilPaths’ variety of grading using the 100-point scale. These two updated systems completely changed how students access their grades.

PupilPath’s website showed a student’s schedule, assignment outcomes , attendance and grades. On its dashboard, it displayed astudent’s’classes with teachers and grades. Depending on these grades the color of the number changed90-100: blue, 80-90: green, 70-80: yellow, 69, and below: red.

Due to a hacker’s attack on PupilPath, the school’s management system was banned in January 2022. It was reported that over 820,000 current and former students’ private information had been exposed. According to the Daily News, over 560 schools have changed their grading system, and Pace chose JumpRope.

JumpRope’s website includes a student’s information similar to PupilPath. JumpRope includes a student’s schedule, assignment outcomes, standards, attendance, progress, and grades as well. On its dashboard, it displays the same number for color assessment. However, Jumprope’s grades for each class are split into multiple groups created by the teachers. To add on, instead of an alphabetic A – F grading system, JumpRope uses E – N grades: Exceeding – E, Meeting – M, Approaching – A, and Not Meeting – N.

Ms. Banks, a 10th-grade history teacher, emphasized that unlike JumpRope, PupilPath wasn’t designed for mastery-based grading. She explains that Pupilpath “ did present mastery-based grading but in a percent-point based grading platform ( using 1%-100% to display grades, so the grades were accurate but they aren’t as clear or as accurate as they could be.”

Other faculty, like Ms. Derosa, administrator and AP biology teacher, have reported that while using PupilPath, “there were often several workarounds that needed to take place in order for it to accurately measure student performance in specific skills. ”

However, in comparison to Pupilpath, many teachers have reportedly had better experiences using JumpRope since it easily allows students to understand what they need to change about their grades and how they can make them better.

Ms. Derosa also described her switch to Jumprople to be positive because she is able to “see how students are doing in individual skills, and better pinpoint their areas of improvement. ”