Yondr Phone Pouches Next Year: SLT Approved

photo Irving Sekyere

Students will be given Yondr pouches at the start of the school day to place their cellular devices into to be locked. At the end of the day, the Yondr pouches will be unsealed.

During the month of February, Pace’s leadership team consisting of parent, student, teacher and administration representatives, approved the implementation of the Yondr pouch system that stores phones away until the end of the school day. This system will be starting next year.

For as long as Pace High School has been open, phone use has never been this shocking to the extent that people must start using Yondr pouches. Usually, students are too busy on social media and not paying attention in class which frustrated teachers.

The school leadership considered how to deal with students’ excessive phone use and they concluded that starting next semester phones will be sealed up in Yondr pouches until the end of the day. This vote was unanimous in favor of the pouches being implemented.

According to Assistant Principal Chong the money for Yondr pouches came from the current school term budget to be applied to the next ongoing school year.

“The school administration spent some time notifying parents of our new Yondr pouch system so it doesn’t come as a surprise to parents,’’ said Mr. Chong.

Phone use has drastically increased and many teachers complain about students not focusing on their work during class. Teachers struggle to get students off their phones without verbal conflict.

Mr. Pettersen, an English and global history teacher who voted in favor of Yondr pouches said, “I don’t want my first interaction with a student to be me telling them to get off their phone.”

Mr. Pettersen stated that students are here to learn and not be on FaceTime or social media during class.

Phone use was less of a problem before the pandemic, but phone usage skyrocketed after. Students began this attachment to their phone, stated Pettersen.

Many students have reacted very negatively towards the Yondr pouch plan.

Katelynn Seetaram, a sophomore, said, “I am not always on my phone so I don’t think that all students should be punished. Students should work to obtain their cellular devices as a form of incentive. I don’t like that our phones will be taken until the end of the day.”

She is proposing a compromise to the implementation of Yondr pouches. “What if we need them for emergencies?” said Seetaram.

The real question is: will phone usage at Pace decrease or increase, as a result of the Yondr pouch system?