The Student News Site of Pace High School

Pacer NYC

Pacer NYC

Pacer NYC

A Look Into Naira’s Artistic World

“Taboo” by Naira Prince, part of the CUE Teen Collective exhibit “13 Degrees of Separation.” (Photo Ryan Williams)

Naira Prince is a sophomore who enjoys creating art and silly cartoons. She has always been fascinated by art since she was a child. Art holds a special place in her heart because her grandfather introduced her to it.

What activity do you partake in after school?

I participated in CUE Teen Collective, and it’s an afterschool art program.

How many days a week do you go to this program?

I went once a week on Tuesdays.

How did you find out about this program?

There was an email on the 2026 Google Classroom from Mr.Sowiski and it was there so I applied.

Why are you so interested in art?

Because it played a fundamental role in my childhood considering my grandfather was an incredible artist and I spent most of my time drawing with him by my side.

How long have you been a part of this program?

It lasted for about, I think, six to seven months, ranging from October to May.

What do you think has improved in your art since you started this program?

I was in connection with a lot of artists and a lot of museums. I feel like all of their work and experience and everything that I learned from there was implemented into my art and I feel like I’ve definitely grown since I started the program.

Naira Prince (right) with Pace artists Ryan Williams and Kata Borg at the CUE Teen Collective Opening for “13 Degrees of Separation.” (photo Mr. Zoboi)

What’s your favorite part of the program?

Honestly, when we would just sit down, basically they would just let us draw and eat snacks while we prepared for our final gallery. And going to the museum, that was kind of fun too.

What was the end result of your program?

In May we had an exhibition where we showed off our final pieces and it all was around the theme identity. So everyone’s family and friends came and we all made pieces about our identity.

How did it feel showing off your work and your art to the people around you in the art exhibit?

It was kind of weird, I don’t like showing off my art to people, so to have a whole bunch of people come in, critique, and ask me about it was weird because I’m not used to this. But it was a really good experience and I think I did learn and grow from it.