Pace Students Join Clubs after Year of Remote School

photo Stephen Weber

Drama club prepares for its upcoming January performance of “12 Angry Jurors.”

After a year of remote learning Pace has opened back up again and so have many clubs and sports teams. The girls’ volleyball, soccer, basketball, cross country, cheerleading, dance and step teams are some of the sports that are available this school year. Track and field, softball, boys’ volleyball and soccer will also be available during the spring.
Other clubs that are available now are the Music Club, Pop Music Theory Club, Rock School, Knitting Club, Math Zone, Drama Club, Yearbook, Video Game Club, and Skateboarding Club. Some important clubs are the four multicultural clubs which include the, Latino Student Union, Black Student Union, Asian American and Pacific Islander Club, and the Gender and Sexulaity Alliance
Many students who have joined the school clubs, specifically freshmen and sophomores, have said it’s been a great way to make new friends and learn new things. After more than a year of remote learning it’s great for students to interact with each other in a way they can’t during class.
Many students who have joined the school clubs, specifically freshmen and sophomores, have said it’s been a great way to make new friends and learn new things. After one year of remote learning it’s a fantastic way for students to interact with each other in a way they can’t during class.
Other popular clubs that are available are the National Honor Society and the Student Government Organization.
Many students are curious about how to join these clubs. There are flyers on the third and fourth floor hallways with information about these clubs. The fliers tell interested students the room number and advisor.
If anyone is interested in starting their own club, they can. If you have a club idea and possible members, you can contact our school administrators. Then if a faculty advisor is able to supervise, you can start up your own club.
There is a vaccine mandate for any club or sports team that has to do with singing, dancing, and indoor athletics. Assistant Principal Sowiski said, “We want to wholeheartedly encourage all students to take advantage of vaccinations. Because Covid 19 is real and scary, and can affect youth.”
So the majority of sports, dance and choir require proof of vaccination. Due to Covid 19 and the restrictions, clubs will most likely function differently than in previous years, but everything is working differently. That’s just something we have to get used to, not being able to interact with others as closely and as oftenly
Mr. Sowiski is also in charge of the Gender and Sexulaity Alliance which he says “is for anyone who identifies as a member of the LGBTQIA+ community and their allies. It’s a safe space to be a part of the community and support each other.”