Elevator, Still Going Down?

No Fix in Sight

photo Pacer Staff

Elevator out of service: awaiting part for repair.

The building’s elevator has been out of service since Sept. 20, causing severe disruption to students–particularly students with mobility issues–and teachers alike.

Classes have been relocated to the first floor to accommodate students in wheelchairs and crutches.

“It’s annoying,” said Skylynn Andino, a freshman who has to remain on the first floor classrooms throughout the day. “I don’t like being in the same classroom every period,” she said.

Because class are relocated to Room 138, Mr. Weber’s classes have had to move upstairs to random free classrooms.

Andino said that elevator breakdowns occasionally occurred in her middle and elementary schools, but never for this long.

Anthony Canales, the building’s Custodial Engineer, said components of the motherboard, the electronic controls for the elevator, burnt out. The elevator repair company contracted by the D.O.E. to repair the elevator, was unable to make the repairs early on and another subcontractor specializing in electronics was brought in.

So far, the subcontractor has not given Mr. Canales a timeline for the repair. “I sent them another email on Monday,” Mr. Canales said. He noted that the custodians in the building, too, have been inconvenienced by the breakdown. They are unable to move supplies and furniture on the elevator and must haul the garbage out of the building using only the stairs.

Assistant Principal Sowiski has spoken to the parents of several students with mobility issues. “They have been very appreciative that we have been making arrangements for their child in the building,” Mr. Sowiski said.

Mr. Sowiski recognized that the situation has been difficult for students and faculty alike. He noted that most faculty and students have been very patient. He added that “public schools are not as invested in and loved here in the city as they are in other parts of the country.”

Alex Driver, 11th grade English teacher who has had one of his classes relocated to the auditorium and the cafeteria, was more direct about the situation. “If this were a Manhattan office building, it would have been fixed in six hours,” saidMr. Driver. “It’s inequitable.”