The Student News Site of Pace High School

Pacer NYC

Pacer NYC

Pacer NYC

Seniors Carry Softball Team to Top Eight City-Wide Finish

photo Farhan Hossain
Chloe Ortiz and Ciara Garcia try to defend second base from the advancing runner.

The girls softball team made it to the third round in the PSAL playoffs. They lost to Metropolitan Campus in Queens with a score of 12-3.

This was a very sad loss for the Pace community as fans were hoping for the team to win the city championship, especially since the team was so strong.

Valery Collado, a senior in the team, said, “The team has grown in a way where we are all able to grow from our mistakes, we take our constructive criticism and make sure we play even better. Our communication on the field grew tremendously that’s how we were able to make it so far. “

The girls softball team has been outstanding with 10 wins and 3 losses in the regular season. They won games against schools like Murry Bergtraum, George Washington, East Harlem Pride, Chelsea Career and Technical Education, HS Environmental Studies and many others.

5 of our players are in the top 25 batters list. Julissa Thomas, Sofia Gomez, Ciara Garcia, Leah Martinez and Saniya Cruz are a part of the top 25 players.

The softball season was interrupted by a change in coaches. Mr Lee and Mr Suriel took over as coaches. Mr EspiallLat and Mr Rothschild had coached the team in the previous two years since coming out of the pandemic.

The players had to “prepare on the fly” according to Mr. Lee. Mr. Lee and Mr. Suriel skillful tactics caused the girls to perform well this season.

The girls softball team has improved because of the important skills utilized and taught throughout the season. Furthermore, support from coaches and teammates strengthened the team.

The girls have formed long lasting friendships with each other and directly communicated with each other in order to boost their teams endurance.

“We all worked our butts off to become the players we are today and it really showed this year. I will forever miss and love this team,” said Collado.